It’s time to make one of our favorite breakfasts at home! We have always loved getting Tonga Toast from Kona Cafe at Disney’s Polynesian Resort. You have to request it to be vegan at the restaurant since it normally is not. Recently they changed the strawberry compote to be vegan too, which is great! This recipe is super easy and if you’re gluten free, you can finally try your own Tonga Toast!
If you have no idea what Tonga Toast is, you’re not alone. Tonga Toast is a specialty only sold at Kona Cafe and is a variation of french toast. The large slab of sourdough bread is stuffed with banana then deep fried and rolled in cinnamon sugar. Since you can make at home, you can absolutely stuff it with other fruits, if you do let us know in the comments so we can try it too!
This is super easy to make, but it does require some deep frying so it is definitely not the healthiest. If you figure out a way to master air frying this, please let us know!
Copycat Vegan Tonga Toast from Kona Cafe
Servings: 2 – 4
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Loaf of sourdough bread
1/2 C Non-dairy milk of choice
Cinnamon Sugar mixture:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Oil for frying- enough to be about 1 inch deep
1/2 cup strawberries quartered
1 tablespoon water
1. Pour oil in heavy bottomed pan about 1 inch deep. Heat to 350.
2. Place fruit and water in a saucepan and bring to medium heat. Once bubbling, reduce heat slightly and use a wooden spoon to muddle and mash the fruit. Continue cooking over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, occasionally mashing fruit to combine.
3. Cut bread in 3 – 4 inch slices then cut each slice about 3/4 of the way through (so you have plenty of room to stuff the bread and it won’t break)
4. Slice banana in discs to desired thickness (thinner is better for stuffing). Place sliced banana into bread about 1/4 to 1/2 of the banana.
5. Fill flat bottom bowl or container with non-dairy milk.
6. Dip stuffed sourdough slice into the non-dairy milk and coat on all sides.
7. Carefully place sourdough into oil and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
8. Coat all sides of the fried Tonga toast into cinnamon sugar mixture.
9. Serve with strawberry compote and/or syrup.